Re: [News] Windows Security - 5 Years Since Promise Was Made, And Still Nothing

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Security - 5 Years Since Promise Was Made, And Still Nothing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:59:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ 7 ] on Tuesday 10 April 2007 19:51 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Stakes are High for Vista Security
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | And with the first Vista-affecting zero-day attack surfacing just last
>> | week, I really hope this isn?t a harbinger of things to come. At
>> | least judging by the early accounts of this new security defect,
>> | it seems as though there?s every reason to expect it should have
>> | been caught through the extensive fuzz testing that?s an integral
>> | part of the SDL's security testing regimen. There are even early
>> | indicators that this flaw--or at least a substantially similar
>> | one--was reported to Microsoft in XP a couple years back.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.esecurityplanet.com/article.php/3670486
>

> As flyer pointed out, the great windopz quarantined OS era has begun.
> Almost all companies protect their windopz infrastructure with Linux
> routers, Linux firewalls, Linux proxies and Linux servers.
> For IT management this doesn't make sense.
> More Linux servers, applications, and Desktops begin to make sense
> finally.

For a small percentage of the market it is hard to justify a "quarantine".
That said, when 20% of the population uses Linux on the desktop, for
example, a tipping point is reached and Windows users can be pressured to
abandon the platform that pollutes the Internet (botnets) and costs everyone
a lot of money (theft, cybercrime and so forth). Windows was never built to
be on the Internet. Unless it gets rebuild (from the ground up, without
stuff 'bolted on top'), it has no chance of protecting itself from full
compromise. Vista, with several "critical" flaws, proves thhat 5-6 years of
development and work on security was fruitless.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, sit on your hands all day
Tasks: 126 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   6 zombie