[News] Microosft Uses Generic Figures to Create Vista Hype, But Refuses to Give Vista Sales Figures

Microsoft Refuses to Reveal Current Vista Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Thursday reported a 65 percent jump in third quarter profits,
| buoyed by sales of its latest operating system, Vista.
|
| Exactly how many Microsoft has sold, however, is still a mystery.
|
| [...]
|
| Liddell declined to provide exact numbers on how many units of Vista
| the company had sold.

When people said that only 244 copies of Vista were sold in China, Microsoft
denied it, but /AGAIN/ refused to give the real figures. They are still
channel stuffing! Nobody is buying the stuff, but they try to change that
using 'sheep effect' (make people think that everybody else is buying it).
This has precedence (see below).

Related:

Rumor: Is Microsoft cheating their [Xbox 360] sales?

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, there are some sobering thoughts with very broad implications
| for any company if that were true. That being said, would you buy
| from Microsoft, or any other company for that matter, if they were
| cheating their sales?
`----

http://xbox360.qj.net/Rumor-Is-Microsoft-cheating-their-sales-/pg/49/aid/89595

Uh-Oh, Vista! PC Sales Levels Are Normal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/oh_oh_vista_pc_sales_levels_are_normal.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is a relic of old-line consumer products companies like Philip
| Morris, or fraudsters like Miniscribe who literally shipped bricks in
| lieu of disk drives to hit sales targets.
|
| [...]
|
| Channel stuffing is the business practice where a company or a sales
| force within a company inflates its sales figures by forcing more
| products through a distribution channel than the channel is capable
| of selling to the world at large.
|
| [...]
|
| We have a game we play around the office here with Microsoft press
| releases. The game is, "Find the words that make the headline true."
| It's not always easy.
|
| [...]
|
| Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
| This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
| many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
| customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
| excess unsold inventory into the channel."
`----

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]