[News] New DRM-Free Shop Debuts, Uses Free Software (Is DRM Dead for Music?)

Underground music service Digital Tunes launches!

,----[ Quote ]
| Their goal was to provide an outlet for quality underground music
| free of DRM (Digital Rights Management) encumbrances, in high
| quality, at a sensible price.
|
| [...]
|
| The secret behind Digital Tunes? success lies in its custom built
| store software built 100% from bleeding edge open source components
| such as Ruby on Rails, coupled with a very high level of automation.
|
| [...]
|
| To coincide with the main launch, Digital Tunes will be offering
| 12 free tracks a day from the www.digital-tunes.net store for a limited
| period beginning May the 7th. One track will be randomly given to a
| lucky visitor every two hours, so all the more reason to check out
| the store today...
`----

http://www.prleap.com/pr/73840/

MPAA chairman promises legal DVD copying, interoperable DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| And if we believe the word of MPAA Chairman and CEO Dan Glickman this
| week, DRM is definitely here to stay when it comes to films and TV.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/27/mpaa_drm/

Music is not mentioned here.

Related:

EMI, Apple 'deal on music locks'

,----[ Quote ]
| EMI is to hold a media event on Monday with Apple boss Steve Jobs as
| special guest, prompting speculation of a deal over digital locks on
| music.

Musicload to get rid of DRM

,----[ quote ]
| PR experts at the music platform say that the common front of
| those advocating DRM is beginning to break up. Long touted
| as a panacea for illegal copies of songs, the protective
| mechanisms are once again being discussed. The Musicload
| newsletter chimes in on the criticism of the blocks on copies
| when it complains that some songs purchased online cannot be
| played back on just any device without further ado.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/86968/from/rss09

Digital lock's rights and wrongs

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM-free or otherwise, at least some more imaginative approaches to
| music services have been appearing. Spiralfrog promises
| ad-supported downloads - when or if it eventually launches.
|
| Aimee Street has launched. Here, the price of each track is
| decided by its popularity. Less popular or new tracks are free,
| rising to a maximum of 98 cents if their popularity increases. At
| the moment it deals almost exclusively in independent music.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6457369.stm

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Why Microsoft will fight for DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| In a DRM-free world Windows Media formats are basically dead.
| Online stores locked out of the iPod because of FairPlay. Will
| not choose to lock themselves out by using only Windows Media if
| they use it at all. I think it?s obvious that the people at
| Microsoft know that. When the number one MP3 player will never
| support your format, Microsoft is left with a lot invested in
| something that won?t amount to much. The only way Microsoft
| can save its investment in Windows Media is to have a DRM
| Windows Media player that is a run away success. This is why
| Microsoft will not join with Apple in calling for a DRM-free
| world. They need DRM so they are going to fight for it.
`----

http://km.lqz.ca/blog/tech/microsoft-fight-drm/

Microsoft launches 'PlayReady' DRM system

,----[ Quote ]
| Although digital rights management (DRM) is popular with content
| creators, it has attracted criticism. Sony was widely attacked after
| using a rootkit-like application to hide content protection on some
| music CDs, and earlier this month Apple CEO Steve Jobs called on
| the music industry to drop its use of DRM.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6158553.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
| Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
| every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
| they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
| option enabled for critical updates.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

The Longest Suicide Note in History