Re: [News] Back Doors Revisited -- Can You Trust Microsoft Windows?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 27 April 2007 09:12 \__

> Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Guy Fawkes wrote:
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht

>>> With Linux at least you can check (and people DO check, believe me) if
>>> there are backdoors. With Windows there's no way to know for sure. Even
>>> if you lucky enough to be able to see the source code of Windows through
>>> Shared Source you'll only be able to see 70% of it (I keep wondering
>>> what's in the other 30%!!) and you're not allowed to build it at any
>>> time, therefore making a binary compare between the build version and the
>>> retail verion (to see that the binary is actually based on the source
>>> code provided) impossible.
>>>
>>> Ramblings about microcode are nonsense. BIOS would be feasible, though
>>> (and is being done by various governments and virus writers).
>>>

>> For me, the big worry is the BIOS. It's the one last dark place,
>> compressed and encrypted out of our collective sight, that still bothers
>> the hell out of me...
>>
>> If any of the big brandname motherboard factories were to start shipping
>> their products with LinuxBIOS... they'd have a LOT of new customers
>> overnight... Hell... even OpenBIOS would be better than the current
>> fare...
>>

> I think you're right - a move to the linuxbios for all motherboards
> would remove that particular design weakness.

The OEM/mobo maker could get pressured by some company though. Someone out
there hate anything Linux* with passion. Not even an MBR is acceptable.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie