Re: NASA Not Interested in Windows Vista

On Apr 25, 9:45 pm, John Locke <johnlocke98...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:20:55 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>
> <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >At NASA, Windows Vista Isn't Ready For Launch
>
> >| Space agency among the growing list of federal agencies that
> >| have put a temporary hold on Windows Vista rollouts.
>
> You mean these guys were even thinking about using Vista ? That's
> scary. I thought these people at least had some sense of reality.

Well, don't confuse the NASA of today with the NASA of the 1960's.
According to my friends who work there, it has become the most
bureaucratic institution in the Federal government.  Could be an
exaggeration, but I think it's pretty bad (for the scientists and
engineers, that is, the bureaucrats love it).

National labs use Windows quite a lot for bureaucratic purposes
(Office apps etc), but Macs and Linux are present, too, in much higher
proportion than you find in most businesses.   The scientists
certainly prefer Linux and Macs.  I expect NASA is similar.   The IT
people have to handle all three.