Re: [News] [OT] Intel Says It Can 'Restore' Destroyed Documents (Evidence)

__/ [ p5000011 ] on Wednesday 25 April 2007 23:06 \__

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:56:54 +0100, [H]omer wrote:

>>> Intel Has Plan to Restore Lost Documents
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070424/intel_amd_suit.html?.v=1
>>
>> And their cunning plan would be ... what ... unlock the safe containing
>> the tape backups?
>>
>> Farnan: "We order you to provide Email evidence for the investigation."
>> Intel:  "But all the Emails have been destroyed."
>> Farnan: "In which case, you are guilty of covering up the evidence."
>> Intel:  <pause> ... Oh, *those* Emails.
>
> Just like the Bush administration's lost email. What better excuse than we
> use Exchange/Outlook? :-)
>
> Seriously, doesn't anyone realise that businesses / government have
> backups? Do they backup everything except email? Pull the other one. The
> data is still there. Expect a few fireproof safes to suddenly ignite.

Recent stories of interest (maybe you'll appreciate a few, so I'll add some
comments as well):

Bugs in mail programs...

Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
| deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
| become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
| error when you try to delete it.
`----

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/vista_what_to_do_when_you_cannot_delete_a_message_in_windows_mail

Deletion ensues...

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Access issues to Web-based mail...

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

Account wiped...

Hotmail deleted my account

,----[ Quote ]
| I can reactivate the account if I choose, but the ten years'
| worth of messages I had stored in there are gone forever.
|
| Who do they think I am George Bush?
|
| Thanks Microsoft.

Let's move on to bigger issues, shall we?

Bush team deletes embarrassing emails

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Washington Post, countless e-mails to and from
| many key White House staffers have been deleted to avoid
| congressional subpoenas.

IIRC, they deleted over 5 miilion E-mails!!

Here's the one I had in mind when I wrote another message earlier today:

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

Here is the judge that scared Intel:

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Farnan gave Intel 30 days to recover as many of the missing e-mails
| as possible and to draw up a report on the steps it is taking to do
| so, Mulloy said.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr

There's precedence in Microsoft's side as well:

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two (Bob Cringely)

,----[ Quote ]
| "So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's
| hardware OEMs, which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending. ..."
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

And have a look at what they do as a result. If you can't stick to ethics,
hide the corruption.

'---[ Quote ]
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
Swap:  1036184k total,   410432k used,   625752k free,    46112k cached