Re: [News] Is Apple Just Putting Lipstick on a Pig?

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, BearItAll
<spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:44:41 +0100
<1177508685.50508.0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Has Leopard fallen into a Copland-Vista Conundrum?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Has Leopard fallen into a Copland-Vista Conundrum? Consider the actual
>> | events during Apple's Copland and Microsoft's Vista crisis periods and
>> | compare them to today's delay of Leopard. The factors that held up
>> | both Copland and Vista simply don't apply to Leopard.
>> `----
>>

> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/5884216C-E7F9-4D04-B1DA-8122CF4E9481.html
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Apple to delay release of Leopard operating system
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Apple said that the full version of Leopard wouldn't ship until October
>> | due to delays caused by the company needing to put the finishing touches
>> | on the iPhone.
>> `----
>>

> http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/apple-delay-release-leopard-operating/story.aspx?guid=%7BEC0B70D2%2D922D%2D4520%2D9B9D%2DD64AC7BEBEC3%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
>> http://tinyurl.com/2hkr5d
>
> I don't mind Apple holding back the release of a new version for valid
> reasons. Better to wait and release a properly working OS.
>
> But why aren't Apple taking advantage of MS's Vista stumble?

What stumble?  It's all part of Microsoft's devious plan.

[1] Release Vista, half-finished.  Some will buy it.  Some will
    switch to MacOSX, find out it doesn't work with <insert
    random proprietary Microsoft software here>, and eventually
    switch back.  Some will switch to Linux, find out it doesn't
    work with <ditto>, and switch back.  Eventually.

[2] Release Vista Patch 1.  Those that switch back will now finally
    be happy.  Those that don't, Microsoft will deluge with
    additional commercials about the New, Improved Vista(TM).

[3] Release DRM lockin.  Now everyone will be *really
    really* happy, except us Linux types who can't play
    anything (causing more people to switch) and possibly
    the MacOSX types as well.  But really, Microsoft's
    not a monopoly.  Really.

[4] Release Palladium, to paper over those evil nasty
    viruses.  Everyone will be soooo happy.  Wait...why
    won't Linux and MacOSX run?  Oh, authorization key
    from ... Microsoft?  Hey, wait, what's the DoJ doing now?
    Slapping us with a *what*??

> With no XP and
> no Vista to take, I would have slashed Mac prices making Apple extremely
> attractive, get some machines on desktops even if it is done for low
> initial profit.

I'm of two minds about this.  On the one hand, Apple
probably can afford to stay above the fray, although it's
hard to say for how long.  On the other hand, they could
have at least stepped up their advertising campaign.

> Apple have always been a bit stupid when it comes to oppertunity and
> definately are stupid when it comes to pricing.
>
> Even if both XP and Vista became unusable today for some reason, Apple macs
> are still far too pricey to attract all but the loyal few.
>
> Of cause being a Linux chap I want people to take up Linux, but I also do
> not think that a world of only Linux will be any better in terms of
> advancing computer technology as a Windows only world was.

One of the reasons Linux is popular is because it tries
to play fair.  FreeBSD and Solaris are reasonably easy to
port to for Linux apps, for example (and vice versa).

A Linux monopoly won't help this interplay.  Of course,
with over 500 distros it would be a very weird monopoly. ;-)

> So come on Apple, get machines out there that people can afford. In October
> when leopard is released you can go back to charging an arm and a few legs
> for it if you like, but for now you have to get selling Macs.
>
> Tescos support isn't helping either, they only have one Mac on display, it
> is one of those White ones where everything is inside the screen.

Wow.  And I thought Mac SE's died out years back.  ;-)

> It's only
> been there a few weeks and it looks like a scruffy dirty white now. Not
> very attractive at all. So forget the clever designer plastic cases, they
> are crap, use a standard box so you can set off a load of standard PC
> factories building them for you.
>
> That mega yaght is very nice by the way Steve, saw it on MTV, do you rent it
> out for fishing weekends?

Maybe he fishes for compliments. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  When it absolutely, positively, has to crash.