[News] PostgreSQL or MySQL are Proof of the Black Art of Benchmarks

PostgreSQL or MySQL: Which is faster?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's easy to find benchmarks that favor one database over another,
| depending on the hardware, the configuration and the test. One database
| might do better on a single-core machine with little memory, while
| another can take better advantage of scaling to multiple core processors.
| One might lead on reads while another leads on writes.
|
|     * This MySQL vs. Postgres demonstrates MySQL is faster.
|     * Benchw results shows PostgreSQL as being faster.
|     * The Windows Skills blog shows MySQL is faster.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1252003,00.html

Related:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Reviewing a Microsoft anti-Linux case study

,----[ Quote ]
| The answer is that neither Linux nor Solaris nor any other Unix variant is
| mentioned in this report; Microsoft simply hung an anti-Linux label on a
| very carefully worded story about a pair of committed Microsoft partners,
| HP and Accenture, getting together with Microsoft to sell rather simple
| technology to a willing customer - whose employers, I think, should be
| seriously embarrassed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=739

Slashdot promotes windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| This ad appeared on this mornings reload of Slashdot.org. It
| ran big bold headlines "LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE CHOOSES WINDOWS
| OVER LINUX FOR RELIABILITY!" and stopped at the frame shown here.
| The implication is "Windows is more reliable than Linux in server
| environments. You should run Windows Server 2003 if you want to
| succeed."
`----

http://planet-geek.com/archives/003510.html

Rumor: Is Microsoft cheating their [Xbox 360] sales?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://xbox360.qj.net/Rumor-Is-Microsoft-cheating-their-sales-/pg/49/aid/89595

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is a relic of old-line consumer products companies like Philip
| Morris, or fraudsters like Miniscribe who literally shipped bricks in
| lieu of disk drives to hit sales targets.
|
| [...]
|
| Channel stuffing is the business practice where a company or a sales
| force within a company inflates its sales figures by forcing more
| products through a distribution channel than the channel is capable
| of selling to the world at large.
|
| [...]
|
| We have a game we play around the office here with Microsoft press
| releases. The game is, "Find the words that make the headline true."
| It's not always easy.
|
| [...]
|
| Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
| This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
| many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
| customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
| excess unsold inventory into the channel."
`----

http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html

Early Vista Sales Don't Tell the Whole Story

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/early_vista_sales_dont_tell_the_whole_story.html