[News] Microsoft Interferes with ODF Policies Overseas

Sometimes I need to remind myself

,----[ Quote ]
| A Malaysian standards committee was moving forward to approve ODF
| as a national standard in Malaysia. This is called "transposing"
| an International Standard, and is commonly done when a relevant
| International Standard is approved. Microsoft has made every
| attempt possible to prevent this committee from making progress
| with their review of ODF, for almost a year now.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/04/sometimes-i-need-to-remind-myself.html

Microsoft: International gangsters.

Related:

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

Sirim pulls plug on format fight

,----[ Quote ]
| Standards body Sirim Bhd has stopped a feud between IBM Malaysia
| and Microsoft Malaysia over competing technologies in this
| country.
|
| Datuk Dr Mohamad Ariffin Aton, Sirim chief executive, has
| suspended the process for approving the Open Document Format
| (ODF), which is backed by IBM Corp, as a Malaysian standard.
| A competing format is OpenXML, currently used only in Microsoft
| Corp's Office suite of desktop products.
`----

http://star-techcentral.com/tech/story.asp?file=/2007/4/4/technology/20070404125811&sec=technology
http://tinyurl.com/2luag5

Open Standards for Florida vs Microsoft lobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=667

,----[ Quote ]
|    Quinn:  Almost to a person, to anybody involved or who knows about
|    the ODF issue, they attributed the story to Microsoft, right, wrong
|    or otherwise. Senator Pacheco may be a bully but I do not believe he
|    is disingenious and would stoop to such a tactic. Senator Pacheco and
|    Secretary Galvin's office remain very heavily influenced by the
|    Microsoft money and its lobbyist machine, as witnessed by their
|    playbook and words, in my opinion.
|
|    Quinn:  I believe that the ODF decision will stand. I believe MS
|    will continue to do anything and everything it can to stop it. And I
|    know my seat wasn't even empty and they (MS) took another shot at
|    the title, to no avail. This horse is out of the barn and I see no
|    way for it to go back in. Remember, all we are asking for was and is
|    for Microsoft to commit to open and the standards process; so
|    everyone looks really bad if the plug gets pulled at this juncture.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183