[News] Linux Desktop Search Engines (and What Microsoft Just Cannot Get Right)

Microsoft Still Needs Help Understanding Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Desktop search engines are all the rage these days. While Beagle may
| be the most popular desktop search engine for Linux, there are
| alternatives. If you are looking for a lightweight and easy-to-use
| yet powerful desktop search engine, you might want to try Recoll.
| Unlike Beagle, Recoll doesn't require Mono, it's fast, and it's
| highly configurable. Recoll is based on Xapian, a mature open source
| search engine library that supports advanced features such as phrase
| and proximity search, relevance feedback, document categorization,
| boolean queries, and wildcard search.

Microsoft Still Needs Help Understanding Search

,----[ Quote ]
| When a company resorts to bribery not once, but twice in an effort
| to get customers to try their product, you have to consider that
| maybe there's something wrong with the product itself.
`----

http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Search-Engine-News/Microsoft-Still-Needs-Help-Understanding-Search/
http://tinyurl.com/2r6vll

Sector Snap: Search Stocks Trade Mixed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Inc.'s MSN/Windows Live Search came in a distant third
| according to Nielsen/NetRatings, with 717.1 million queries, or 10.1
| percent of the U.S. search market for the period. Microsoft shares
| declined 31 cents to $28.71 in afternoon trading on the Nasdaq.
` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070423/sector_snap_internet.html?.v=1

Links below are related to desktop search, but the links in the other post
about search are very relevant here as well.

Related:

Unifying Desktop Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Wasabi is a new proposal on FreeDesktop.org for a unified desktop
| search and metadata specification.
|
| [...]
|
| If they can get either KDE or GNOME to support it then the
| chances will be good. In fact, KDE has been focusing on various
| API's for the upcoming KDE4 release so it should be right up their
| alley. After all, Phonon is doing the exact same thing for
| multimedia backends.
`----

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/unifying_desktop_search

Desktop search for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I already wrote a bit about desktop search on Linux systems, you can
| find more in the section Desktop Search (surprise, surprise).
|
| However, the last look at the situation in general is quite some months
| ago, and several things have developed since then.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/11/17/desktop-search-for-linux-autumn-2006/

Beagle++

,----[ Quote ]
| Beagle++ is an extensions to the Beagle search tool for the personal
| information space. Beagle++ now makes that search semantic, features
| you never experienced before. As a prototype it reflects our
| current research activities towards the Semantic Desktop.
`----

http://beagle.kbs.uni-hannover.de/

Linux Desktop Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Searching in Linux starts those venerable command line favorites:
| find, grep, and locate. These tools are very powerful and can easily
| be integrated into scripts, but for many users, this usefulness is
| also one of their key weaknesses...
|
| [...]
|
| [Covers Kat, SearchMonkey, Beagle, and more]
`----

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/linux_desktop_search

Searchmonkey balances command-line power and desktop ease of use

,----[ Quote ]
| Searchmonkey, formerly known as Xsearch, is a graphical search
| tool whose main page describes it as the combining of Beagle's
| simplicity of use with the exactness of the find and grep commands.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/18/1617228&from=rss

Why Did Microsoft Decimate Search in Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Until RC2, one of the best features of Vista was its speedy,
| exceedingly powerful Search features. But with RC2, Microsoft
| essentially threw Search under the train, making some of the most
| bizarre user interface decisions imaginable. Why did Microsoft decide
| to decimate the great Search tool?
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/why_did_microsoft_decimate_sea.html

Desktop search is rotten in Vista