Re: [News] Microsoft Fights PDF Format, Cross Platform Access

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Tuesday 24 April 2007 03:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> With XPS as PDF killer, Microsoft opens second front on Adobe
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Will XPS match or even overthrow PDF in the long run?
>

> You know, it's funny...a few years ago trolls would come into COLA and some
> diehard Linux guy would be talking about some OSS app like slrm as
> the "Outlook Killer" and I'd have to laugh.
>
> Now, the tables have turned, and Microsoft is coming out with these
> ridiculous products like XPS that are going to "kill PDF" and I must say,
> it's quite funny.

XPS has been planned and worked on for years. The same applies to many other
software projects on the 'production line'. At the time, DRM in Longhorn
seemed like a good idea, but they tried to keep the plan secret (Gutmann was
the first person to totally catch them with their pants down). The attempt
to kill Flash goes a couple of years back when the rumours began (I know
because I blogged about it). Since then, things like YouTube took off,
Microsoft has lost its dominance, and the new O/S, slated for release in
2005/6 and expected to be sold like cupcakes, turned out to be such a
colossal disaster that OEMS would reject it in favour of a 6 year old O/S
(and Linux options).

Within a few hours, Gates will probably be caught with his pants down, at the
front page of Digg (
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Antitrust_Bill_Gates_F_CK_HP_if_they_won_t_sign_a_Windows_license
). "Why does this guy even write E-mails?", said one the regulars there when
it turned out how he directly sabotaged Linux adoption (e.g. ACPI). Well, in
this case he didn't even write it. It came second-hand from a collague.
Comes vs Microsoft and the Groklaw community came to the rescue. And Doug
does an excellent job showing the public who (or *what*) Microsoft really
is.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | No Makefile, no business