Re: For all that hate me...

  • Subject: Re: For all that hate me...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:59:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mike ] on Monday 23 April 2007 23:40 \__

> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Ubuntu is very popular these days, and gets good reviews for ease of
>> installation, user friendliness etc, and the software installation and
>> upgrade process (apt-get etc) on Ubuntu is highly praised.  Although
>> it's free if you've never used unix you'll do well to buy a book, for
>> example, the Ubuntu Linux bible (there are several books out there and
>> I don't know which one is best).  There's lots of documentation on the
>> web but I like to have a book. The Ubuntu forums are pretty good with
>> help.  You may have hardware that won't work with Linux, but Ubuntu
>> has a Live CD version that you can use to test your hardware before
>> doing any installation.  No hate involved.  OTOH many people like Suse
>> 10.2, which if you are willing to pay about $60 (not sure how much in
>> UK) you get a boxed set with manuals.
>
> Last time I used SuSE my soundcard wasn't compatible. I forget if that was
> on this PC or my older one though. I'll try the Live CD again.

I'd second nessuno's suggestion. Some distros that appear to work where
others fail (hardware detection-wise) are Ubuntu Linux and PCLinuxOS. There
have been cases where PCLinuxOS indeed succeeded where others lacked some
driver. In the future, buying hardware that is more Linux-friend means that
it's a one-time pain, just like adaptation to the way things are done in the
'UNIX world'.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - nobody hates anybody. Nobody likes change either. :-)