Re: [News] The $100 Linux Laptop Comes to South Africa

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 23 April 2007 05:28 \__

>> Debate widens over over deploying computers in the developing world
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The controversy boiled over on Saturday at a meeting where Craig
>> | Barrett, chairman of Intel, squared off with Nicholas Negroponte,
>> | the former director of the MIT Media Laboratory and head of the
>> | nonprofit organization One Laptop Per Child, which is focusing
>> | on the 1.2 billion children in the developing world.
>> `----    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/28/business/cheap.php
>
> Well naturally Intel and Microsoft want to monopolise the third-world
> market, but at their prices, they don't stand a chance. Game over.

Let the children vote (lots of photos).

Kids In Jiri Love XO [One Laptop per Child]!

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, the day was a huge success and another significant step
| in raising awareness of XO and just how valuable it can and will
| be to the children of Nepal!
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/04/kids-in-jiri-love-xo.html

The XO in the Real World

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the children were able to make it to the congress, walking
| around the showroom with their XO's and showing attendees what they
| liked best about the laptop.
`----

http://www.j5live.com/?p=357

Nigerian students power up their laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Khaled Hassounah, director of Nicholas Negroponte's One Laptop Per
| Child (OLPC) program in Africa and the Middle East, has spent the
| last year touring schools in Nigeria. He and his team chose a school
| 10 miles outside Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to deploy the company's
| first child-friendly laptops in the region.
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-1.html?part=rss&tag=6175025&subj=news

Here is what happens when you do this the wrong way (funny article):

Adobe targets school kids to get them hooked on software

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe is where the 'apps' are manufactured. These apps that have the
| power to make images appear before our children's eyes. "There were
| all these, like, stars, and they were rotating. It really captured
| my attention," said Nigel, 14, hardly more than a child, but with
| the vacant expression of a man who has spent hours looking at a
| screen. Nigel has now discovered he needs glasses.

                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
  6:00am  up 8 days  5:28,  4 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.94, 1.20