Re: Linus Torvalds quote on "accomplishing goals"?

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 19 April 2007 20:53 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:
>> I can't remember the exact context, but it was something like "People
>> accomplish more when they are working towards something, rather than
>> fighting against its antagonists".
>>
>> I think it may have been a discussion on (or more likely Linus'
>> criticism of) the anti-Tivoisation clause in the GPLv3.
>>
>> I seem to remember someone (I think it was Linonut) using that quote as
>> a response to one of my comments, a couple of years ago.
>>
>> Pop quiz: what was the exact quote, and name the source (presumably the
>> kernel mailing list)?
>>
>> TIA.
>
> Got it!
>
> "Torvalds lambasts Free Software Foundation" - Nessuno Wigner
> http://tinyurl.com/ysp5ls (Google Groups).
>
> .----
> | I realize(sic) that a lot of people see this as a fight. But I tell
> | you, those people are missing the point. We're not fighting. At least
> | the useful people aren't fighting. No good code ever comes out of
> | people who do things because they are afraid, or because they hate.
> | And I'm not just sayign(sic) that because it sounds good - it's
> | really true. If you make your choices because you fear somebody,
> | you'll make the wrong choices. - Linus Torvalds
> `----
>
>  - http://tinyurl.com/eumwb (Groklaw)

Just look at Microsoft's response to Google, with all its anger and envy.
Then look at Google's calm.

> Finally I can finish my article.
>
> BTW, I should point out that I disagree with Linus' position. I agree
> that the FOSS community needs to work positively *towards* goals, rather
> than expend a disproportionate amount of time fighting *against* FOSS
> detractors, but at the same time, those detractors *are* waging a war
> against *us*, and I'm not about to just sit back and let them win.

Yes, exactly. We must keep our eyes open and explain that these "Get the
Facts" study are flawed, for example. Microsoft never played fair. It plays
hardball. This reminds me to have a quick look at some headlines that expose
Microsoft's aggressive moves du jour...

> From the various responses to Linus' posts on Groklaw, it would appear
> that the majority agree with me, including PJ herself.

Well, to be fair, she's not developing anything (in a technical sense), so
her opinion on the matter might not be most relevant here. Marketing is
another interesting issue, and so is law. Microsoft has no technical merits,
but it markets and litigates to get its way.

Linus also spoke about the demise of Windows being a side effect of his work,
not his aim.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S gets malware on its tail
roy      pts/2                         Sat Apr 21 13:53 - 13:53  (00:00)