[News] Vista Resource Greed Leads to Battery Life Woes

UMPCs: still a gimmick despite Intel's best efforts?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, Intel CEO Paul Otellini's forecast of handheld devices capable of
| running the full version of Windows Vista in 2008 looks set to come true
| - what isn't yet clear is how long they'll be able to do so. Based on
| what Intel said - or, rather, didn't say - the prognosis is not good.
| UMPCs are not going to be replacing folks' laptops just yet.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/20/ump_chances_analysis/

Intel has just moved on to using Linux for UMPCs, despite Otellini's fear of
Microsoft and probably because of the praises he offered UNIX-type systems
(see links at the very bottom).

Related:

The Origami had terrible battery life.

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

Microsoft Kills Origami, Presents Vistagami

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the pioneer behind the Ultra Mobile PC movement
| (Origami), is more or less killing the original concept and
| coming up with a more upbeat version.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Special_Reports/Microsoft_Kills_Origami%2C_Presents_Vistagami_200701302798/
http://tinyurl.com/2nhttc

In the following memo, Microsoft calls its own product a "resource pig", but
approves release.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/4000/PX04141.pdf

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
| what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
| system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
|         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
| need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
| heart. Jim"
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

Intel Seen Using China Forum to Detail Plans on Hand-Helds

,----[ Quote ]
| That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Intel chief sings iPhone's praises

,----[ Quote ]