[News] BadVista (FSF) Push for Government to Adopt Free Software and Linux

Support governments moving away from Windows Vista and toward free software

,----[ Quote ]
| In some cases, governments are instead moving to other kinds of
| proprietary software. This is why we need to emphasize the freedom
| of free software operating systems like GNU/Linux and not just
| their technical advantages (as represented by the term "open source").
| What we want is not the rejection of Microsoft in particular--we
| want governments to acknowledge the ethical ramifications of their
| software choices and leave proprietary software behind entirely.
`----

http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/support-governments-moving-away-from-windows-vista-and-toward-free-software
http://tinyurl.com/2l2zwy

Recent:

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Cyberattacks at federal agencies draw House scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| In the process of analyzing that malicious code, analysts also
| discovered another previously unknown hole in the Windows operating
| system that lacked a security patch.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6177783.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

The feds weigh in on Windows security