Re: [News] Windows Vista Gets No Fix Until Year's End(ish)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Vista Gets No Fix Until Year's End(ish)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 03:57:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 21 April 2007 02:37 \__

>> Ubuntu gets clean and complete releases every 6 months. While
>> Microsoft said it would like to imitate this approach, it's clearly
>> unable to even deliver fixes within a 6-month timeframe.
>
> Windows keeping pace with Linux distro releases?
>
> I can't even devise a comment scathing enough to describe how unlikely
> that is. But then given the sort of things that Microsoft thinks are
> "improvements", I dread to think of the consequences of having *that*
> unleashed on the public once every six months. Once every six *years* is
> bad enough.

That's the advantage of having modularity. Let a huge number of GNOME
developers (and users who become testers) do the work and release improved
versions steadily. The 50 developers at Canonical just need to assemble all
the latest bits and ensure they stick. The tracker (Launchpad) accpets a lot
of hints from users, rather than noise from ["send report" | "don't send"],
which Microsoft said gets flooded by overclockers (making it useless).

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | http://debian.org
Tasks: 118 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie