[News] Linux Wins at Dell, Storage Suppliers Chooses Linux

  • Subject: [News] Linux Wins at Dell, Storage Suppliers Chooses Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:52:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Red Hat nails Dell as JBoss dealer

| And then there's the Web Edge bundle with Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Dell
| hardware that's targeted at customers doing web serving via Apache.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/09/dell_redhat_deal/

Storage Suppliers Stage Linux Love-In

,----[ Quote ]
| More and more users are turning to Linux-based systems in an attempt to shave
| their storage costs, with the technology now at the core of data centers for
| the likes of Google, Lawrence Livermore Labs, NASA, and Pixar. (See Google,
| Livermore Taps Clustering, NASA, and Pixar.) This, in turn, has prompted a
| flurry of activity from storage vendors making their offerings
| Linux-compatible.
`----

http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=131196&WT.svl=news2_2

Related:

Cluster File Systems Closes Deal with Oak Ridge National Labs

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our work with ORNL will enable Linux storage to scale to
| completely unprecedented capacities."
|
| [...]
|
| Lustre is a highly scalable distributed file system that combines
| open standards, the Linux operating system, an open networking API and
| innovative protocols.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Linux/Cluster_File_Systems_Closes_Deal_with_Oak_Ridge_National_Labs
http://tinyurl.com/yxcodm

Backups again - Bacula

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a quick note to mention how impressed I have been with my current
| backup solution, Bacula (using an Overland Neo2000 tape library, which
| also does the job nicely).
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/backups_again_bacula.html

Device Profile: Infrant Repertoire media server

,----[ Quote ]
| Infrant will soon ship a Linux-based storage device designed specially
| for serving up digital media files, including videos and music files.
| The Repertoire has no playback capabilities, but can store up to 3TB
| of media, and stream or transfer it using most common, standard,
| open protocols.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3293796162.html

Cleversafe Launches DSGrid File System

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cleversafe project, developers of the world's first open source
| Dispersed Storage software, has launched a new open source project, called
| the DSGrid File System (dsgfs), to allow a dispersed storage grid to appear
| as a mountable file system for Linux-based software applications.
|
| [...]
|
| ...Using the dsgfs, users will be able to seamlessly store data on
| the Cleversafe Research Storage Grid, on a commercial grid or on a grid
| they build themselves. dsgfs initially will support various versions
| of Linux, including Debian, Fedora and CentOS.
|
| "This new project means that most Linux-based applications will now be
| able to seamlessly take advantage of the benefits of dispersed storage,
| which include security, reliability and privacy,? said John Quigley,
| dsgfs project lead. "Cleversafe is inviting organizations and individualst
| o freely participate in the project."
`----

http://www.gridtoday.com/grid/875634.html

Adaptec To Unveil New OnTarget Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| Adaptec offers pre-built, stand-alone NAS and iSCSI SAN storage devices,
| as well as combination NAS/SAN appliances, under its Snap brand
| exclusively to indirect sales channels. Those devices are based one of two
| of its Linux-based proprietary operating systems, SnapOS and GuardianOS.
|
| It is unsure which of the two operating systems Adaptec is using with
| OnTarget. However, channel sources said OnTarget is a Linux-based
| solution.
`----

http://www.channelweb.com/sections/allnews/article.jhtml?articleId=193005763

NAS kit uses Linux to good effect