[News] Web Standards Open Door to Linux, Microsoft Tries to Shut the Door

  • Subject: [News] Web Standards Open Door to Linux, Microsoft Tries to Shut the Door
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 05:05:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

,----[ Quote ]
| In a way, it was a time of great experimentation, but Zeldman soon came to
| see the flip side: The chaos was leading to user frustration and spiraling
| development and maintenance costs that threatened healthy development of the
| Web.

How Open Formats Encouraged Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| If the PDP-11's designers had decided to copy the byte-ordering used by
| IBM, the Unix world would not have been pushed toward encoding data in
| ASCII, and the unintended consequential openness in the Unix/GNU/Linux
| world might never have come about.
`----

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/02/22/open-formats-open-source.html

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Is Microsoft learning from Web standards mistakes?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Is-Microsoft-learning-from-Web-standards-mistakes-/0,130061733,339280240,00.htm

,----[ Quote ]