[News] Linux Becomes Big in Korean Mobiles, Motorola Gains CGL Partner

  • Subject: [News] Linux Becomes Big in Korean Mobiles, Motorola Gains CGL Partner
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:00:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux emerging as new power in mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| An era of Linux-based mobile phone OS is expected to arrive soon. Mobile
| service providers such as SK Telecom and KTF, and handset makers such as
| Samsung Electronics and LG Electronics materialized their plans to adopt
| Linux on their mobile OS, which heralds major changes in domestic mobile OS
| field.
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200708090003

Motorola adds Carrier Grade Linux partner

,----[ Quote ]
| Embedded Linux provider Wind River has forged a joint development, marketing,
| and support agreement with Motorola's network equipment division, it says.
| The "strategic alliance" aims to bring Wind River's Carrier Grade Linux (CGL)
| and VxWorks OSes to Motorola's AdvancedTCA and MicroTCA (pictured at left)
| products.

Motorola selling Razr2 phone in S.Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola accounted for 11.5 percent of the Korean handset market as of the
| end of April. Samsung Electronics Co. held 55 percent and LG Electronics Inc.
| had 19 percent, according to Korea-based ATLAS Research Group.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070629/ap_on_hi_te/skorea_motorola_razr2

Motorola finally launches U.S. Linux phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux/Java has topped CEO Ed Zander's list of things to look for
| from Motorola as it attempts a financial turnaround. At a New
| York press conference this morning, Zander introduced Linux-based"
| Rokr" and "Razr2" models, along with new top-level executives.

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/

Korea to Support Open Source Program

,----[ Quote ]
| The government plans to spend 4 billion won ($4.29 million) this year
| alone proliferating open-source programs such as Linux across the
| country.
|
| The Ministry of Information and Communication yesterday said it
| would financially support universities or local governments, which
| adopt open-source platforms and software. In particular, personal
| computers will be the main focus of this year.
|
| [...]
|
| As a part of the project, the Information Ministry designated
| Kwangju City as a Linux city and the Gangwon Provincial University
| as a Linux university last year.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200704/kt2007041219175411880.htm

First phase of Korea's open-source city is high success

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the trend of open source adaptation in major cities worldwide,
| one of the major Korean cities, Gwangju Metropolitan City, successfully
| jumped onto the open source transition, receiving spotlight from related
| industry.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39154182,00.htm

Haansoft Teams Up with Redgate, Targets Linux Market in Asia

,----[ Quote ]
| Haansoft said on Wednesday that it had teamed up with domestic
| security firm Redgate to reinforce security for 'Asianux.'
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200701110004

South Korea's ETRI develops advanced Linux desktop search system, puts end to
erroneous results

,----[ Quote ]
| On 21st, South Korean R&D firm ETRI announced that they have developed new
| Linux desktop search system, 'antbear'. The antbear can analyze and run
| advanced text searches, producing more accurate results by precisely
| analyzing the search words.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/internet/0,39036962,39154048,00.htm

An open source development project 'Winter of Code' just got launched!

,----[ Quote ]
| Soonseon Kwon, who runs KLDP (Korean Linux Documentation Project)
| said, "This is the first ever open source event in Korea and I hope
| it will serve as a good opportunity to promote the open source to
| Korean students. I also hope that both the students and resulting
| projects can put a positive effect on the open source community."
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39153660,00.htm

'Genome Project' Led by Open Source HPC

,----[ Quote ]
| The BLAST tool module is highly compatible to run on Linux
| platform with advantage of considerably faster result compared
| to running on other platform.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39153485,00.htm

Army Considers Shift to Open-Source Programs

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the trend of the nation's government agencies, universities
| and post offices, the South Korean military is considering jumping onto
| the open-source bandwagon.
|
| Open source refers to programs, of which source codes are available for
| use or modification by anyone. The codes are not owned by an individual
| or company.
|
| [...]
|
| The Army has shown interest in open-source programs, such as Linux, over
| the past few years, and it began two pilot runs with Linux recently.
|
| It plans to invest up to 400 million won this year to build an education
| center for open-source software and establish systems to run war-game
| simulations based on Linux.
|
| In addition, Army computer officials met with Linux experts at the
| state-backed Korea IT Industry Promotion Agency (KIPA) late last month
| to delve into the feasibility of its Linux scheme.
|
| "At the request of the Army, we visited them to explain Linux in late
| August," a KIPA official said. "We hope it deploys Linux as its main
| operating system."
|
| "If the Army that puts security and stability first selects Linux, it
| would provide momentum for the country's open-source initiative since
| the decision would assure people of the reliability of Linux," he added.
|
| Linux is free software that offers an alternative operating system to
| the closed-door Windows operating program owned by Microsoft, which
| today dominates the global market.
|
| The Korean government is working to reduce its reliance on Windows by
| strengthening the presence of Linux and other open-source programs.
|
| Korea Post, the country's postal service provider, last year started a
| four-year program to install a Linux-based operating system on thousands
| of PCs in its nationwide branches.
|
| A new online information system for schools, dubbed the National
| Education Information System, also opted to use Linux-powered platforms
| on its 2,331 servers last year.
|
| In addition, earlier this year, the government designated Kwangju City as
| a Linux city and the Gangwon Provincial University as a Linux university.
| The two organizations have installed open-source software as their primary
| operating systems.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200609/kt2006091517155210440.htm

Korean court rebuffs Microsoft in patents case

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has taken another slap from the authorities in Korea, after
| a court decision in a patent dispure raised the prospect of Officeb
| eing taken off the shelves in the country.
|
| Microsoft said it was continuing to dispute the patent's validity.
`----                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/27/ms_korea_court/

Consumers in No Hurry for Vista Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| In a survey of 4,144 members of Danawa.com, a price comparison site,
| only 14 percent of respondents said that they will immediately upgrade
| to the Vista platform when Microsoft releases it on January 30.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200612/kt2006122918214111890.htm

Korean government warns against Vista upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Information and Communication said that it wished it
| could tell a private company like Microsoft to postpone the release
| of Vista, but it can't. The best thing, an official said, was not to
| install Vista before you know what you're getting into.

The cost of monoculture

,----[ Quote ]
| Korea will only get beyond this problem by 1) applying Korean laws
| on open standards to the certificate authorities, 2) reassigning new
| certificates which work with open web standards to all Koreans, 3)
| reprogramming all Korean websites to support 128 bit SSL which will
| allow for a heterogeneous marketplace of operating systems and web
| browsers. This is a herculean task and thus Korea stays hostage to
| Redmond.
|
| Fascinating history. Unintended consequences and de-facto monopolies
| create costs too high to calculate and must be borne without question.
`----

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2007/01/26/00h53m55s#003095

Is MS Overcharging Koreans for Vistas?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft?s Windows Vista program is selling in South Korea at
| prices up to 70 percent higher than in the United States or
| Japan, with Microsoft blaming Korea's immature market
| for the price difference.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200701/kt2007012618202953460.htm

"AnNyung 1.3 2007.03.19" (Korean Linux distro)

http://annyung.oops.org/