Re: [News] Microsoft Hates Linux, But OSI and the Linux Foundation Have Microsoft Apologists

> Microsoft vs. The Linux World
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Make no mistake about it, if you are using a Linux distribution, you are not
>| a friend to the software giant in Redmond. For years, they have spread rumours
>| and half-truths in an effort to curb any further attraction to Linux
>| development. Unfortunately for them, this has not only failed miserably, but
>| their own Vista operating system has become the ultimate pro-Linux marketing
>| campaign with its bugs, bloat and compatibility issues.
> `----
>
> http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7984
>
> And yet you see some people who refuse to identify a convicted criminal.

Well, it had to catch up with them in the end.  If you look at the
economics, it will not be possible for proprietary software to compete
with open-source unless there is some additional lock-in mechanism in
operation.  It's just a question of time.

> Linux Foundation calls for 'respect for Microsoft'
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "There are some things that Windows does pretty well," Zemlin said. Microsoft
>| for instance has excelled in marketing the operating system, and has a good
>| track record in fending off competition.
>|
>| Although Zemlin advised against launching large scale marketing campaigns and
>| against setting up a Microsoft-styled PR organisation, Linux should
>| acknowledge and address preconceptions about the software instead of denying
>| them.
> `----
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196258/linux-foundation-calls-respect

I agree with him.  You only have to look at the number of people, here
in cola, who think that there's special magic to be had.

> Open-source discrimination
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Pamela Jones of Groklaw, whose opinion I value and with whom I normally
>| concur, berated me for daring to suggest that we should welcome Microsoft's
>| participation in open source...
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9756114-7.html
>
> He is having lunch with Microsoft executives. They try to 'buy' the mind of
> open source/free software people.

And rightly so.  Microsoft, when armed with a new board of directors,
some new senior and middle managers, and in about ten years when they've
had chance to change their culture, could be worth being in discussion
with.

At the moment, they're not.