[News] Low-cost Linux Laptops for the West and the Developing Nations

  • Subject: [News] Low-cost Linux Laptops for the West and the Developing Nations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:49:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why We Need a $200 Linux Notebook in the US

| Sincere hope that those here in our home countries will soon have access to
| truly low cost solutions like the 3ePC. What remains a bit unclear to me
| however is whether we (in the US), among other countries, which might not be
| suited for OLPC, will be seeing access to these units anytime soon.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2620&Itemid=449

Intel’s Approach to Laptops for Poor Children

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the competitive friction came from the fact that Mr. Negroponte’s
| machine runs on a chip made by AMD, Intel’s rival in the microprocessor
| business. The One Laptop machine runs the Linux operating system, while most
| of the Intel machines run Microsoft’s Windows (though they can run Linux).
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/intels-approach-to-laptops-for-poor-children/

Related:

OLPC Linux laptop could succeed in U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptop features a string pulley to charge its battery, a keyboard
| that switches between languages, a digital video camera, wireless
| connectivity, and an open-source Linux operating system tailored for
| remote regions.

Laptop Wars: It Could Transform Life for Billions of Children

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/957934/laptop_wars_it_could_transform_life_for_billions_of_children/index.html
http://tinyurl.com/2byaec