Re: Is she kidding???

Ashlee is a dude. He is Linux saavy and it's flamebait. You ought to have seen
the comments in LinuxToday. It's all quite funny nonetheless.

It's once of those Register articles that make people sigh because it's
tabloid-like by design.

____/  tblanchard001@xxxxxxxxx on Wednesday 08 August 2007 22:23 : \____

> The below article talks a lot about the Linux Desktop and Suse based
> on deals and Linux being put on desktops in various places, read if
> you like, I thought the third paragraph up from the bottom was worth
> bringing up here. Here it is:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/07/desktop_linux_fluendo/
>
> "Away from corporations, desktop Linux still proves far too
> troublesome for grandma. It suffers from limited driver, multimedia
> and power management support. The Linux community is, as always,
> beavering away on these issues and may well make something Windows
> comparable by 2020."
>
> Let's look at the first sentence -- Yes, most grandma's have a problem
> with computers period, regardless of the OS installed.
>
> Second --  "limited driver" what!?!?!?  I've got 10 computers all
> running various hardware platforms, with various flavors of linux and
> haven't had a single driver issue -- has she ever even used linux?
>
> Third -- "multimedia" what!?!?!?!? What on this earth would ever make
> me believe that M$ has better multimedia support than Linux? If you're
> referring to DVD playback, that hardly the fault of Linux and more an
> mpaa issue.
>
> Fourth -- "power management support"  (with sarcasm) -> I'm in the
> death throes of depression just waiting for the power management
> support to suck 15 minute more minutes of battery life out my crappy,
> aging laptop.
>
> Fifth -- I think I speak for the Linux community when I say I hope
> Linux never sinks to the level of being comparable with Windoz,
> because, honestly Linux is already better.  We'd have to code bloat
> linux by 100 fold, and purposely add a ton of obfuscation to Linux
> before we could compare to Windoze, and hope to make our software as
> trashy as theirs.
>
> Sixth -- limited driver, multimedia, and power management -- is that
> all they can come up with to argue about?  Surely they have something
> else.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    United States: #1 in spam export
Tasks: 108 total,   1 running, 107 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie