[News] H-P Released More Open Source Software, Open Source Keeps Losing Focus

  • Subject: [News] H-P Released More Open Source Software, Open Source Keeps Losing Focus
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 13:55:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
HP tools help put open source in the datacentre

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has also added Xen and guest operating system support for Debian to its
| recently launched HP Partner Virtualisation Programme, and now allows Linux
| users to run HP Integrity servers using its pay-per-use pricing.
|
| Under the Pay-Per-Use (PPU) flexible pricing structure for Linux running on
| HP Integrity servers, computing capacity is available to users, who are then
| billed for only what they use. The addition of Linux completes the PPU
| offering across all operating systems on the HP Integrity platform, including
| HP-UX, Windows and OpenVMS.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/08/07/226053/hp-tools-help-put-open-source-in-the-datacentre.htm

Eroding the meaning of “open source”, IBM-style

,----[ Quote ]
| While the term “open source” was not actually used in the latest
| announcement, the connection is there to be made and any confusion does not
| hinder IBM’s cause. The same could be said of Microsoft choice of the
| phrase “Office Open XML”.
|
| While IBM contributes more to the open source ‘ecosystem’, like Microsoft it
| is attempting to use open source as a foundation for selling more commercial
| products. If you’re going to discriminate against one for doing so, you have
| to discriminate against both.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/eroding_the_mea.html

Related:

Microsoft not so 'open' after all?

,----[ Quote ]
| Head of open-source group says more than half of licenses don't pass muster
|
| [...]
|
| Michael Tiemann, president of the non-profit Open Source Initiative, said
| that provisions in three out of five of Microsoft's shared-source licenses
| that restrict source code to running only on the Windows operating system
| would contravene a fundamental tenet of open-source licenses as laid out by
| the OSI. By those rules, code must be free for anyone to view, use, modify as
| they see fit.
|
| [...]
|
| By his count, the OSI has rejected "two dozen" or so license applications for
| language that restricted the use or redistribution of software and its source
| code, even when the restrictions were written with what Tiemann
| called "moral" intent. For instance, the OSI has rejected license
| applications from Quakers and other pacifists who sought to prevent the use
| of software for weapons such as landmines.
|
| "I am highly sympathetic to that point of view," he said. "But the OSI is not
| in the business of legislating moral use. We allow all use, commercial or
| non-commercial, mortal or medical."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9028318&intsrc=news_ts_head

Reverse-Halloween: The Marketing Checkbox Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting Microsoft software licenses OSI-approved and similarly getting
| Microsoft's proprietary document formats approved at ISO are like painting an
| old Chevrolet.
|
| [...]
|
| This may be enough to satisfy the enterprise customer that he is achieving
| something different. Clearly, the substance is no different: it's a lock-in
| in sheep's clothing.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/08/the-marketing-c.html

Merging "Open Source" and "Free Software"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/merging_open_source_and_free_software