Re: [News] Linux Tablets Hit More US Stores

> Sprint to offer WiMAX-enabled Linux tablet
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Sprint will offer a Mobile WiMAX-enabled version of Nokia's N800 Internet
>| Tablet to North American customers next year, LinuxDevices has learned. The
>| new device will support Sprint's grand scheme of making WiMAX-based 4G
>| wireless services available to over 100 million people during 2008.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| At the LinuxWorld conference in San Francisco this week, LinuxDevices spoke
>| with Dr. Ari Jaaksi (photo at right), Nokia's director of open source. Asked
>| if the combination of VoIP and Mobile WiMAX might cannibalize Nokia's mobile
>| phone business, Jaaksi replied, "WiMAX could change the cellular landscape;
>| however, it's a question of the maturity of the technology, and how it will
>| be priced."
> `----

> There's plenty more good news to come. Linux is apparently taking the world by
> storm in 2007. The only think hindering its adoption at this stage is
> corruption, which is easy to catch thanks to the openness of the Net.

The mobile operators presently have a nice walled garden, which they're
not going to give up without a *big* fight.

I'm not convinced that WiMax will be the danger to the mobile businesses
it's being cracked up to be.  Aside from anything else, someone has to
build a network, in an environment where margins get smaller every day.
The days of "free" net access are more or less over, I think.