[News] Oracle Dismisses Shuttleworth's Opinion, Says It Won't Fork Linux

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Dismisses Shuttleworth's Opinion, Says It Won't Fork Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:58:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/oracle_uln_red_hat/

Related:

Oracle's got a giant Red Hat fork coming, says spaceman

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle's assault on Linux looks to take the shape of a fork in the near
| future, according to Canonical founder and Ubuntu chief Mark Shuttleworth.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/27/shuttleworth_oscon_ubuntu/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?

,----[ Quote ]
| After initial cynicism I have been forced to rethink my opinion on a couple
| of occassions, notably Oracle's patent pledge, the naming of customers and
| the naming of partners, although I remain unconvinced that OEL is a long-term
| strategy for the company as opposed to an attempt to disrupt the market.
|
| Linux is clearly a long-term commitment. Oracle Enterprise Linux? Not sure.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/07/is_unbreakable_1.html

Ubuntu chief: Oracle Linux has 'tactical value'

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has the ability to support Linux, and doing so could
| have "tactical value" for the database company, the founder
| of Ubuntu Linux--and a potential Oracle partner--said Friday.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6128259.html?part=rss&tag=6128259&subj=news

Shuttleworth: Oracle-Ubuntu partnership only a matter of time

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical Ltd. CEO Mark Shuttleworth said a partnership with
| Oracle is no longer a matter of if, but when.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1226514,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/yht7mk

Linux kernel maintainer allays fears about forking

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel is believed to the top contributor to the kernel and its contribution
| only amounts to 4 percent, Gordon said.
|
| "That means no single organization has the manpower to take the kernel, run
| off and fork it," said Morton. Forking would not be economically feasible.
| The only remote possibility of forking would be if a group of organizations
| controlling about 40 percent of the kernel joined forces and decided to fork
| it, Morton said. He stressed he sees no chance of that happening.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/07/linux-maintainer_1.html

The value of an independent Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Isn't this what we want? Aren't we better off having the OS vendor separate
| from the application vendor separate from the database vendor? Do we really
| want our consolidating, integrating industry to leave us with fewer choices,
| not more?
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9752514-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1017_3-0-5

Memo to Con Kolivas: why not roll your own?

,----[ Quote ]
| Kolivas, according to the interview, came up against three of the big guns in
| the kernel project - Torvalds, Andrew Morton and Ingo Molnar - when trying to
| lobby for his patches.
|
| With free and open source software, there is a way out, if Kolivas really
| wants to put his improvements out there and prove his point. Follow de
| Raadt's example and fork the project.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13710&Itemid=1091

Fork a kernel, kill an "OS" and revolutionize the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nuxified.org/article/fork_a_kernel_kill_an_os_and_revolutionize_the_desktop