Re: All four System Lords embrace GNU/Linux

> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 18:34 : \____

>>> ____/ flyer on Tuesday 07 August 2007 12:36 : \____

> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201203176&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

>>> The customers are all dumping an exclusive relationship with Microsoft
>>> Windows. The customers are OEMs, not end users who are forced to accept
>>> what's available on the shelf. Microsoft's fight for the OEMs can be seen in
>>> its full aggressive 'glory' in antitrust memos. They use/d illegal tactics
>>> to exclude and discriminate against competing O/Ses.
>>>
>>> When OEMs (sellers and Microsoft customers) stock Linux, so will their
>>> clients. It might take a while, but it's a domino effect.
>>>
>>> H-P, by the way, will soon be joining. It is inevitable. As for Acer, they
>>> sell Linux in part of Europe, Asia, and the United States. Like Dell, this
>>> will grow and expand gradually (geographically, and also to other models).
>>
>> The end of year reviews are going to be /very/ interesting this year.
>> This really has been the year of the linux desktop, oddly, just at the
>> point where the desktop is losing relevance, but as I predicted a couple
>> of years ago, I thought that these two events would happen at the same
>> time.
>
> Be ready for people to define 'success' to serve their own POV. Linux wins when
> it's accepted. Being widespread is only the next step, which follows
> endorsement and availability. Have you seen Microsoft's filing, a portion of
> which I posted some hours ago? Microsoft is most concerned about Linux being
> embraced by OEMs. It's not about installed base. They look _ahead_.

You're quite right, and I think this year will be seen as the one where
Microsoft finally lost their iron-grip on the desktop, driven by two
forces, firstly, the decreasing relative importance of the desktop due
mainly to mobility, both wifi and 2.5G/3G, as well as the fantastic
growth of Ubuntu into mainstream awareness, and the key decisions of
four major OEMs to offer Linux machines.

>> Hehe.
>
> "..are belong to us". The Wikipedia page about this is entertaining.

I recall the phenomenon at the time; some years ago now, though!