Re: Mass. Surrenders to Microsoft's Open XML Push (SJVN)

nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<Quote>
Microsoft wins. We lose...open standards have taken a major hit, which
will eventually hit us in the wallet...

In the long run, this means that no one except Microsoft Office users
will be able to Open XML. And since it's a "standard," no one else
will give OpenOffice, WordPerfect or any of the other office suites a
fair try. Once more, Microsoft will have set up the software game so
that it and it alone, can be the only winner.

Don't think it will matter to you as a user? Just wait until you see
what the next version of Office is going to cost you once Microsoft
has ground its would be competition back into the dirt.
</Quote>

Money, lies, and corruption.  The themes of our times.

It would be very easy to push Office out in the event that Microsoft does not adhere perfectly to the standards they create. I've heard of government institutions doing crazier things than approving the use of a format that is not supported by any software package.