Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Sued Over Patents, IE7 and Vista Have Balance-sheet Liability?

____/ Kelsey Bjarnason on Monday 06 August 2007 00:41 : \____

> [snips]
>
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:34:52 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>>> At the moment, Red Hat is trying to license WMV from Microsoft (for Global
>>> Desktop).
>>>

>> Why not just reverse engineer it?  I suppose a licence for Australia,
>> the US, Canada and Mexico might be required, though, if there is one of
>> those software patents in the mix somewhere.
>
> Reverse engineering sucks, that's why.  So you figure out WMV's formats
> and mechanisms and produce a compatible tool... then MS gets in a snit and
> "upgrades" to WMV 2.0 - which breaks your tool.  Guess what?  Now you get
> to do it all over again.
>
> Blech.

The whole thing should be standardised in one form or another. Moreover, partly
to blame here are resources and companies that choose to encode media using
proprietary formats. Of course, Windows does not support [m]any open formats
such as Ogg Vorbis out of the box. It's no coincidence. it's made this way _by
design_. Try creating movies and sounds in Windows and save them in
non-Microsoft-ised formats. It's anticompetitive of course, but who will ever
police and end attempts to tax all information on our planet? Even Neelie
Kroes must be terrified after Microsoft's smear campaigns against here.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)