Re: [News] [Rival] Associated Press Covers Reports of Microsoft-BBC "Corruption"

> Lobby Group: Microsoft Too Close to BBC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A software lobby group is campaigning to highlight the role of software giant
>| Microsoft Corp. in the British Broadcasting Corp.'s digital media strategy by
>| petitioning Great Britain Prime Minister Gordon Brown to address the issue.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070803/microsoft_bbc.html?.v=1

Excellent.  I wonder if we can have Mr Gates stripped of his honorary
knighthood, too?  There is plenty of evidence of his entirely
inappropriate behaviour around.

> New project born (but it's pointless):
>
> BBC iPlayer on Linux project
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| This is a project to bring the BBC iPlayer to the GNU/Linux and *BSD/Mac OSX
>| Operating Systems.
> `----
>
> http://bbciplayerlinux.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page
>
> This probably does more harm than good.

This is probably the last thing we want, but, if it can be made to work,
will surely demonstrate that the DRM argument is even weaker than it
was.  On the positive front, though, it does show that there is genuine
demand for a BBC iPlayer, rather than the current Microsoft iPlayer
which will only ever work on Microsoft platforms.