[News] Military Has Interest in Cell-based, Linux-friendly Playstation3s, SDK Introduced

  • Subject: [News] Military Has Interest in Cell-based, Linux-friendly Playstation3s, SDK Introduced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 15:18:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SDK aims Playstation3 clusters at HPC apps

,----[ Quote ]
| The SDK includes Terra Soft's Yellow Dog Linux implementation for Cell-based
| systems, and is designed to enhance IBM's free SDK for the Cell architecture.
| The SDK comprises optimized math libraries and a graphical IDE and debugger
| based on Eclipse, along with Mercury's Trace Analysis Tool and Library
| (TATL).

Some more information here:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/03/third.party.ps3.sdk/

...Among other places. The potential of the PS3 is gradually being unleashed.

Related:

Linux Powered PS3 to be used in DARPA Urban Challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| With four years of autonomous racing experience and using Yellow Dog Linux,
| San Diego's Axion Racing is excited about showing folks other things that can
| be done using a PlayStation console.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/aug/03/linux_powered_ps3_to_be_used_in_darpa_urban_challenge

Digital TV tuner for PlayStation 3, but what's in it for Sony?

,----[ Quote ]
| Around March next year, Sony expects to introduce a digital TV tuner add-on
| turning the PS3 into a personal video recorder, Sony revealed last week.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13849&Itemid=1086

Terra Soft, Power.org Host Hack-a-thon II

,----[ Quote ]
| In this 4 day event, Terra Soft will host a 6 node PS3 cluster and hands-on
| workshop for the installation of Yellow Dog Linux, compute image deployment
| via Y-HPC, and use of Torque and Moab for job management. Hack-a-thon
| attendees will be invited to working hands-on with the cluster to test their
| own parallel and distributed code.
`----

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2007/2007-07-02.shtml

Linux on the PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| After a lot of back and forth I finally got Linux installed on my
| PS3. Ended up installing Yellowdog Linux.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/view/uraeus/2007/05/21/0

PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3)
| to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in
| today's games.
`----

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-33982.aspx

Opera Desktop Team: Approaching 9.2 [with PPC Support]

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important is that we've fixed some issues with Flash 9
| on Linux. This means that you can now watch YouTube video
| fullscreen! (And close annyoing Flash ads.)
|
| [...]
|
| ...we have now ppc-linux .6 packages: that means that they work
| (okay, should work) on your PS3! -- if you installed Linux on it.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2007/03/30/approaching-9-2

PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to the demand on the PS3 forums I am making some install videos of
| Yellow Dog Linux. Sorry about the slightly shaky footage, since I was
| installing and holding the camera at the same time.
`----

http://fatpenguinblog.com/?p=798

Yellow Dog Linux launches for PS3

,----[ Quote ]