Re: [News] Capable Linux PC for Just $139

____/ BearItAll on Friday 03 August 2007 14:19 : \____

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/the_139_linux_pc.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301&ATT=The+139+Linux+PC

> You have to ask if there is much point in this. It is all very well being
> able to boot linux and open some applications, but what use is it going to
> be really.
>
>     * VIA C7 1.5GHz processor
>     * 256MB DDR2 RAM included
>     * 13.5GB Hard Disk
>     * 100Mbps fast-ethernet port
>     * 128-bit 3D/2D Graphics engine
>     * Full-featured AGP v2.0 compliant 4x transfer mode AGP controller
>     * UltraDMA EIDE controller
>     * Memory expandable to 2GB
>     * Two 32-bit PCI slots
>     * Two IDE connectors onboard
>     * VIA VT1612A 6-channel audio codec, Intel AC'97 compliant
>     * Two PS/2 ports for mouse and connector, one serial, one parallel
> ports, one VGP port, one LAN port, four USB 2.0 ports and audio jacks
>     * Optional technical support provided by the experts who created Vector
> Linux!
>
> Provide your own CD/DVD/Monitor/keyboard/mouse.
>
> It would make a router or firswall, but in a desktop case it's a bit big for
> that sort of possition, you would be better off getting a mini or cold
> running PC.

That type of PC would suit me well at home. I only use my PC at home for music,
remote access (client), and backups. My 150 quid PC is more than I need. As
for monitors, many people get rid of their old ones, so you can get decent
ones for free (if you look carefully). Of course, this isn't my work machine.
A good diplay isn't a must-have.

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.