[News] DRM Disease Tries New Tricks, AMD Delivers Its Media Centre Box 'Naked'

  • Subject: [News] DRM Disease Tries New Tricks, AMD Delivers Its Media Centre Box 'Naked'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:07:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
DRM not dead, just getting sneakier

,----[ Quote ]
| So far copyright on DVDs, CDs and even some high-def discs has been cracked
| and hacked to death. There's no guarantee that stealth DRM will do the job
| for the safety of downloaded content but that's not stopping the media
| bigwigs trying. My feeling is that the clever hacking crowd can't wait for a
| new challenge.

It seems like AMD is giving up on its Microsoft+DRM partnership....

AMD creates white-box MCE

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD previously pitched its AMD Live! media platform as the antithesis of
| Intel's Viiv platform. Whereas, the flacks would say, Intel wants to build
| boxes to control the living room - bringing hot, unstable PCs into the
| electronics realm - AMD wanted to connect existing home PCs to CE devices
| already next to the TV, creating more of a media server/ client experience.
|
| It seems that that strategy has been dropped - after all, it didn't actually
| sell more AMD chips, which was a small flaw - and AMD is getting into the
| business of putting the hot, unstable PCs in the living room itself.

EMI has DRM free sales boom

,----[ Quote ]
| Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark
| Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent.

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
| Few people know the music industry better than Peter Jenner. Pink
| Floyd's first manager, who subsequently managed Syd Barrett's solo
| career, Jenner has also looked after T.Rex, The Clash, Ian Dury,
| Disposable Heroes and Billy Bragg - who he manages today. He's also
| secretary general of the International Music Managers Forum.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

DRM Scorecard: Hackers Batting 1000, Industry Zero

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/08/drm_scorecard_h.html