Re: [News] Media Serves Monopoly Abuser in Fight Against GPLv3

> Signal and Noise in GPLv3

>| In an email to me last month, Linus Torvalds, who has been portrayed in the
>| media as GPLv3's main opponent, describes the language that he and other use
>| on the Linux kernel mailing list as "blunt, to the point, and not very
>| polite." When journalists quote pieces of it, he notes, often "the context of
>| that language is then lost entirely" -- and he adds that "it's not just the
>| text of the thread itself that is the context; the context is also how
>| technical people discussing things amongst each other is in itself a very
>| different context than a trade magazine article."
> `----
>
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3692201

At some point, Mr Torvalds will realise just why the changes to the GPL
are so important.  Fundamentally, it's about freedom, it's about
avoiding lock-in.  In the longer-run, this will be better economically,
which means that everyone, including the writers of GPLed code, will be
better off with GPLv3, not worse off.  Only those who wish to do some
kind of lock-in thing, some kind of secrecy, wrest some kind of control
over the behaviour of users or integrators or programmers, really have
anything to lose from GPLv3.