Re: [News] KDE 4.0 Reaches Beta, Screenshots Available

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> KDE 4.0 Beta 1 Release Announcement

> | KDE 4.0 Beta 1 marks the stabilizing of foundations for the new major
> | release of KDE.
> `----
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.0-beta1.php

I'm not really a KDE man, I like gnome, but I have to say that what I have
seen of kde and the kde tools/applications so far is very impressive.

I get the feeling that kde has done what gnome did. Where gnome went quiet
for a time with updates being much more in the background with very little
to impress the eye candy suckers. But then we got a release, right after
all the work with the xml config and menu files, where gnome took off
again. It is slick and clean and very configurable, while being a very
strong platform for GUI applications. I am sat here in front of my work
client, I use gnome at home and at work so am in front of it many hours
each day, and I can't think of anything bad to say about gnome, I don't
even have little niggles that I could get off my chest here.

Kde was from my point of view, how can I say this without sounding
insulting, I can't, so I'll just say it, kde seemed in comparison to gnome
like a toy or a collection of gimmicks/gadgets that didn't really add to
the Linux system in a way that suited me, I would take that further and say
that it didn't always add in a way I personally spproved of. Don't worry
though, my opinion is worth diddly squat. I know Kde users tend to love,
but it didn't do it for me.

But this new the release of kde, I have a feeeling that it will find it's
way onto one of my clients, home or work, more likely at home. I think that
Kde have gotten back on track and I'm sure that they will grow to attract
more Linux users as well as being attractive to MS Windows users.