Re: [News] [Rival] Iowans Pick Software Coupons from Redmond Thieves, Intel Stole $60 Billion in 10 years

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Iowans Seek Payments From Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Attorneys for Microsoft and the plaintiffs said Wednesday that it's too early | to determine how many will file. The class totals nearly 1 million members. | Class members have until Dec. 14 to file a claim. `----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070801/microsoft_settlement_claims.html?.v=1

'Funny money' from a company that moves to an advertisement-based model. Note
the subtle choice of words in this article. Equipment won't be treated in the
same way as software from the convicted monopoly abuser.

Small purchasers will be paid in U.S. dollars. I believe that that is a first in these class-action suits.

Volume licensees get vouchers. Of course the volume licensees are exactly the market segment (schools (Indiana), governments (Munich), corporations (Auto Zone)) that Microsoft is most in danger of losing if Microsoft can't lock it in.

http://www.iowamicrosoftcase.com/

Settlement Information Last Updated on June 5, 2007:

The Court has granted preliminary approval of the settlement.

Settlement benefits will be distributed after the settlement receives final approval and any appeals are resolved. The final approval hearing is currently scheduled for August 31, 2007. The parties cannot predict whether any appeals will be filed and if so, how long they will take to resolve. In the event no appeals are filed, the parties expect that the settlement administrator will begin distributing settlement benefits in December 2007.

To receive benefits, you must complete and return a Claim Form. The deadline for mailing your Claim Form or submitting your Claim Form online is December 14, 2007 or 30 days after the Court grants Final Approval of the Settlement, whichever comes later.

Check back at this site or call 1-877-477-0960 for additional information and updates.

Iowa consumers, businesses, and government entities that bought Microsoft software, or a computer on which it was installed, can claim benefits under a class action settlement with a face value of $179,950,000.

A settlement has been reached in an antitrust class action lawsuit against Microsoft about certain Microsoft software (Windows, MS-DOS, Office, Excel, Word, Works Suite or Home Essentials 97 or 98 products) acquired by consumers, businesses and Iowa state and local government entities for use in Iowa. Under the terms of the settlement, Microsoft will provide up to $179,950,000 in cash payments to consumers and in vouchers to volume licensees and/or Iowa state or local governmental entities that can be used towards the purchase of computers, peripheral computer hardware, and software.