Re: [News] More Linux-friendly GPUs Gain the Most

____/ BearItAll on Thursday 02 August 2007 16:41 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Nvidia gains ground in graphics
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Nvidia is gaining market share on both AMD and Intel within the graphics
>> | market, according to analyst firm Jon Peddie Research (JPR).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/01/jpr_q2_graphics/
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell
>> | Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of
>> | investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map.
>> | Amit had also stated that the NVIDIA 2D and 3D video drivers were
>> | "challenges in platform enablement". Dell wants to offer ATI Linux
>> | systems, but first the driver must be improved for the Linux platform
>> | (not necessarily open-source, but improved).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA
>

> We keep getting grumbles about ATI drivers, I don't do anything like TV or
> video through a video card, so maybe many of the grumbles are to do with
> the extras around the cards that I never see. But for me the ATI drivers
> from their web site have proven to be very good.

The open source driver got TV support just days ago.

> My main machine at home on ATI is sharp and crisp, never have a problem with
> it, I went over the top with the video card on that one because it's where
> I do my video and picture stuff (my little hobby).
>
> The little laptop I use at work is also ATI, openSuse gave me a nice default
> for it which would have been fine for what I use it for here, but still I
> put the ATI drivers on from the ATI site, I can't say that this one is a
> great display because the LCD is fairly limited, but when I plug the
> Prolite monitor in I get a very a good picture.

Try the driver with something like Compiz-fusion. Try complex setups without
editing xorg files. Also, try checking if the drivers are compatible with all
distributions (including the latest) and if CCC (Control Centre) actually
works fine. I am getting slight quirks on a dual head (about 4000-pixel wide)
because of the drivers as well. The drivers from 2003 (same box) worked
without these rare issues, but they had other (more serious) ones.

> In both cases I am getting what I expect, great display from the main PC,
> good display from the work laptop. So I really don't see what people are
> grumbling at.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | You can never get nine women to deliver a baby in a
month
Tasks: 110 total,   1 running, 109 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie