[News] [Rival] Will Microsoft 'Extend' JPEG 'the Windows Way' (e.g. MS-DRM)?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Will Microsoft 'Extend' JPEG 'the Windows Way' (e.g. MS-DRM)?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:14:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft HD Photo considered for standardization by JPEG committee

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's ongoing attempt to establish its own photo format as a JPEG
| alternative (and potential successor) took another step forward today when
| the JPEG standards group agreed to consider HD Photo (originally named
| Windows Media Photo) as a standard. If successful, the new file standard will
| be known as JPEG XR.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070801-microsoft-hd-photo-considered-for-standardization-by-jpeg-committee.html

This is pretty bad.

Related:

Halloween Memo I Confirmed and Microsoft's History on Standards

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf