[News] China's Requirements Expose OOXML, Show the Joke That It is

  • Subject: [News] China's Requirements Expose OOXML, Show the Joke That It is
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 02:08:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
An open document standard for China

,----[ Quote ]
| Another standard that Microsoft does not support, is the
| RFC 3987 specification, which defines UTF-8 capable Internet addresses.
| Consequently, OOXML does not support the use of Chinese
| characters within a Web address.
|
| Microsoft also did a bad job in creating a document format
| for the whole world, which is an important requirement for an ISO standard.
| Considerations for users in Israel and many Muslim countries were excluded in
| the specification of OOXML. For any locale, the function 'Networkdays()' will
| always return Saturday and Sunday as the weekend. However, this is wrong for
| Iraq, Algeria, Sudan, Bahrain, Qatar, Bangladesh, Israel, Jordan, Libya,
| Pakistan, Syria and the United Arab Emirates. ODF handles this correctly.
|
| There are many more examples why OOXML isn't a suitable candidate for an ISO
| standard yet. From my point of view, Microsoft should stop, as soon as
| possible, bringing more redundancy into office document formats.
|
| It would be much better if Microsoft takes the good ideas and technologies
| from OOXML, and tries to join an effort to unify ODF, UOF and OOXML. For
| those interested, the blog of IBM's Robert Weir, is a good source to get
| informed about the issues of OOXML.
|
| I hope China will not support OOXML in its ISO voting, but force Microsoft to
| consider talks for one harmonized office document standard for the whole
| world.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,63000113,00.htm

ODF more complete than LaTex

,----[ Quote ]
| LaTeX might be the bees knees for text, but ODF also supports spreadsheets
| and presentations (and a few other odds and ends). LaTeX doesn't do me much
| good if I want to exchange a spreadsheet - vs a static representation of a
| spreadsheet - with somebody.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/237767/

Related:

Office Open XML ISO certification process grows even murkier for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| While the US is an important member of the ISO, it is still only one of many
| member nations, most of which are in the process of finalizing their own
| decisions on the bid. The general trend among non-US countries is for
| rejection of the Office Open XML fast-track proposal, with many nations
| voicing objections to the process and some to the file format itself.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070726-office-open-xml-iso-certification-process-grows-even-murkier-for-microsoft.html

No is no, to OOXML

,----[ Quote ]