[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Cracked Again, Gets Slammed by Symantec

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Cracked Again, Gets Slammed by Symantec
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:03:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Researchers expose Microsoft Vista's kernel security

,----[ Quote ]
| A security feature in the 64-bit version of Windows Vista can be easily
| circumvented with a free utility that loads unsigned drivers into the kernel,
| according to researchers at Symantec.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/windows/news/index.cfm?newsid=4297

Symantec CEO John Tompson Talks About Internet Security, Microsoft and Google

,----[ Quote ]
| “What Microsoft is doing in the security space has been more hype than hurt,”
| Thompson said during interview with a few members of the press today at
| Symantec’s Cupertino, CA headquarters. “Microsoft’s presence in the consumer
| marketplace has been resoundingly heralded as a non-event by most in the
| industry. It’s not proven if customers will accept it.”
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070731/42970_id.html?.v=1

Related:

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

http://www.masuran.org/node/29

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

Windows Fiji: Now second half of 2008?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=520

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6182852.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Right now, Microsoft has nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. After all
| the hype surrounding Vista, the Emperor has finally been revealed in all
| his naked glory. Some folks have been predicting the demise of Microsoft. I
| wouldn't go that far, but I am wondering how we?re ever going to take
| Microsoft seriously again?"
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/

A history of Microsoft Windows - the inside story exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| 2004: (...)
| THE MANAGEMENT: "What do you mean it still doesn't work? Try
| harder!"
|
| 2005: (...)
| "MAKE IT WORK! FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAKE IT WORK! Well, throw it away
| and use the server version then, that seems all right. Look, they
| won't know the difference, drop the database stuff, nobody remembers
| what we said in 1995 now! That was ten years ago! "Apple has what?
| 3D acceleration? So, we have DirectX. What, in the desktop? Really?
| What, even Stallman's beardie-weirdies have it? Oh hell. Right, you
| lot, make it look like this!"

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt