Re: [News] [Rival] Cause for Massive Skype Downtime Finally Identified: Microsoft

____/ BearItAll on Monday 20 August 2007 13:59 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Patch Tuesday update triggered Skype outage
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Skype has blamed last week's prolonged outage on the effects of
>> | Microsoft's Patch Tuesday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20/skype_outage_post-mortem/
>>

> Well that isn't very clever, MS updates it's software and Skype goes down
> for two days. But skype didn't go down because of the MS update, it went
> down because it couldn't cope when the machines started to reconect.
>
> We can't blame MS for that one.
>
> It also suggests that as skype increases it's user base it is going to be
> even less able to cope. Which I was already thinking was the case anyway,
> because they are more bad connections, distorted sound and cut offs now
> with Skype than I ever experienced before. It is becoming a pain to use.
>
> So maybe the webbed connection system isn't the best way to do VoIP
> afterall, someone in here warned that was the case quite a long time ago.

Yes, and earlier today in Slashdotted I spotted an article on the need for the
Web to restructure itself to adjust to the greed for bandwidth. WebTV is truly
a nightmare and it brought our network to a grinding half about 6 months ago
before we pretty much banned it.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
Swap:  1510068k total,   709980k used,   800088k free,    41276k cached