[News] Cross-platform Promises and the Promise of DRM

  • Subject: [News] Cross-platform Promises and the Promise of DRM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:24:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Bad UI of the Week: The Cross-Platform User Interface

,----[ Quote ]
| There are two kinds of snake oil in the software world that still seem to
| sell well. The first is DRM, where purveyors seem able to convince their
| customers that they can provide something that has been shown to be
| impossible. The other is that cross-platform graphical user interface. In
| this week's column, David Chisnall examines the myth of the cross-platform
| GUI, and explains why such attempts are likely to be doomed to failure from
| the start.
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=787261&rl=1

Related:

Cross platform development for Windows and Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| This article focuses primarily on some technical aspects of Qt,
| Trolltech's cross-platform C++ toolkit which, as you may know, is
| the architectural core behind the KDE desktop on Linux. At the end,
| I show how easy it is to create a simple application without writing
| a line of code.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/11/19/cross_platform_development_win_mac/

Anti-DRM Protesters call on the BBC to eliminate DRM from the iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/11186/anti-drm-protesters-call-bbc-eliminate-drm-iplayer