[News] The Value of Free Open Source in Innovation

  • Subject: [News] The Value of Free Open Source in Innovation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 04:59:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Interview: author and ex-Microsoft manager Scott Berkun

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you think that being able to see and modify a program's source code is a
| good method of innovation?
|
| SB: Sure. Understanding how things work is the fastest way to learn and gives
| people who come later reusable, proven methods for doing things. But at the
| same time, it provides sets of assumptions that are more efficient to follow
| than to reconsider or reinvent. So depending on what level of innovation
| we're talking about (a feature? a product? a line of products? a paradigm?)
| access to source code has different levels of value. And there's also the
| value of mystery -- sometimes a locked box forces people to be more creative
| since they have to invent their own approach. Being angry at that locked box
| and wanting to figure it out can drive people to innovate who'd be bored if
| they had permission to take it apart and see the source (as the legions of
| hackers and reverse-engineers out there can attest).
`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/348/

Related:

http://www.gridter.com/articles/software_cycle.html

Apple's Annual Developer's Conference Disappoints For Its Lack of Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple shares fell 3.45% yesterday on general investor disappointment
| with what was perceived as a lack of innovation at Apple's annual
| software developer's conference [WWDC].
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070612/38015_id.html?.v=1

Novell Hack Week: an experiment in innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| According to legendary scientist Albert Einstein, "everything that is really
| great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
| Perhaps that is why open-source software is such fertile ground for
| innovation.
|
| [...]
|
| Are there plans to do another Hack Week in the future? If Novell does another
| Hack Week, is there something that you would like to see done differently?
|
| Absolutely. We're looking at doing it again in 6 months or so. No date is set
| yet, but in the future we hope to involve more participants from the
| community.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/novell-hack-week-an-experiment-in-innovation.ars

Innovation: The REAL Killer App

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no true innovation in Windows Vista. Microsoft has spent
| years developing a product that nobody cared about or wanted. All
| Microsoft was developing was the operating system they needed to
| perpetuate their Windows franchise. After long hold ups in
| development, this has left their Windows revenues at a trickle.
| The sad thing is the GNU/Linux camp has done little to combat
| this deficiency in innovation. They have been more concerned
| with creating an equivalent product at a better price rather than
| a better product at a better price. Sure GNU/Linux is a better
| product due to its inherent stability, performance and security,
| but these aren't the features that home consumers migrate
| platforms for. True innovation, such as improvements in usability,
| is the only way one can convince consumers to choose your product
| over a stagnant entrenched one like Windows. It is simple free
| market economics, the better product at the best price will win.
`----

http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/04/innovation-real-killer-app.html

Balancing open source risk and the total innovation opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/balancing_open.html