[News] [Rival] Respect Microsoft... Like Your Respect Dynamite

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Respect Microsoft... Like Your Respect Dynamite
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:45:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Debating The Welcome Mat for Redmond

,----[ Quote ]
| This, I believe, is the respect that should be given to Microsoft, and any
| other proprietary company with a history of antagonism towards Linux: the
| respect of something always potentially dangerous. Like dynamite. As
| dangerous as dynamite is, it can still be used productively and safely.
|
| The best thing to do is cast away fear and intimidation. How? By remembering
| this: because it is free and open source Linux can never by destroyed. It can
| be slowed down, or sidetracked by our own actions, but the genie is out of
| the bottle and can never be put back. With this in mind, why worry about what
| Redmond says?
|
| Respect them... and never forget who they are.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-08-17-031-26-OP-MS

Related:

Linux Foundation's first commandment: respect Microsoft

,----[ Quote]
| There are, of course, companies like Novell which have signed pacts with
| Microsoft, pacts which endanger the growth of Linux in the marketplace. Is
| this the kind of strategy which Zemlin had in mind?
|
| There are people like Miguel de Icaza who try to tailgate Microsoft by
| developing open source versions of Microsoft technologies and hoping against
| hope that specs will remain accessible to them. Could Zemlin have meant this
| kind of strategy?
|
| [...]
|
| Judging from the CV available on the Linux Foundation website, Zemlin,
| clearly, has had no touch with open source apart from various marketing
| roles. It is claimed that he is "widely quoted in the press on open source
| and commercial software trends..."
|
| If these are the kind of quotes he generates, it would be indeed wise for him
| to henceforth hold his peace.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14014&Itemid=1091

How to expand Linux in two styles: Novell vs. Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, I took another look at Ron Hovsepian’s keynote address from LinuxWorld
| last week, and his message of “expanding, extending, and enlarging” the Linux
| operating system. Was the message tainted a bit by the fact that Hovsepian is
| a businessman at the head of the number two commercial Linux distributor in
| the world? Sure it was, but there were points to be gleaned from his talk
| that I think the Linux community would be apt to mull over for a bit before
| they jump on the Microsoft hating bandwagon.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/08/15/how-to-expand-linux-in-two-styles-red-hat-vs-novell/

Microsoft Must Earn Respect of FOSS Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Can you believe it? Given Microsoft's history of antagonism, It's hard to
| believe anyone - let alone the Linux Foundation - would call on the FOSS
| community to respect Microsoft. No, if Microsoft wants respect, they should
| get it the 'old-fashioned' way - by earning it.
|
| After Microsoft has treated our community like rogues for nearly 20 years,
| called us Communists, claimed the GPL was 'unconstitutional', hijacked our
| terminology and accused countless thousands of hackers and customers of
| violating patents without giving anyone any opportunity at all to correct
| these so-called violations, now the Executive Director at the Linux
| Foundation calls on us to respect Microsoft?
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/node/93

It's not about Windows, dammit!

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/08/09/15/15/54-it-s-not-about-windows-dammit-