[News] Proprietary Software Vendors (Skype and Opera) Meet Open Source

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software Vendors (Skype and Opera) Meet Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:26:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Skype and the GNU Affero GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| If the Skype problem lay not with the server but with client software, the
| value of open source software would be even more evident. Proprietary
| software creates a monoculture. The free software movement tends to create
| multiple tools to do the same thing, which can be confusing for people trying
| to choose the best audio player, PDF viewer, word processor, etc. But the
| diversity allows for a quick switch in case a crippling bug turns up in one
| project.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/skype_and_the_g.html

Opera Uses Mozilla Fuzzer Tool To Find 'Highly Severe' Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| During the recent Black Hat security conference, the Mozilla Foundation made
| the JavaScript fuzzer, an open-source application testing security testing
| tool, available to anyone who wants to use it.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201800584

Related and recent:

Spinola signs up, Skype crashes

,----[ Quote ]
| But can it be mere coincidence that the service was running perfectly until
| the man who considers any free software to be an evil communist plot joined
| up? We suspect not.

Opera Desktop Team: Approaching 9.2 [with PPC Support]

,----[ Quote ]
| The most important is that we've fixed some issues with Flash 9
| on Linux. This means that you can now watch YouTube video
| fullscreen! (And close annyoing Flash ads.)
|
| [...]
|
| ...we have now ppc-linux .6 packages: that means that they work
| (okay, should work) on your PS3! -- if you installed Linux on it.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2007/03/30/approaching-9-2

Opera OLPC Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| We have been testing Opera on the OLPC laptop since we received
| the "lean-mean-green-machine", as some here at the office like to
| call it. I have been keeping both the Opera page on the OLPC Wiki
| as well as my own blog up-to-date about work on it. We feel the
| time to be ready to show you the progress we have made.
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/704304

Opera Software reshuffles after struggle

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070622/ap_on_hi_te/opera_software