Re: [News] Google Pulls Microsoft-esque Marketing Tricks

On 2007-08-17, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ____/ waterskidoo on Friday 17 August 2007 17:37 : \____
>

>> Sadly true.
>> See the Chevy Chase "European Vacation" movie for some fun on this.
>> The scene where they are at an outdoors French cafe is
>> hysterical.
>
> I'm lost here. *smile* One thing I can say is that English-speaking people are
> upset when shopkeepers overseas don't speak English.
>
> Actually, I was surprised to find that many people in Montreal don't speak
> English at all...

Rent the DVD "European Vacation" with Chevy Chase.
It's classic "obnoxious" Americans in a foreign country and how
the locals react to them. The scene I was speaking of has the
Griswalds ordering food at an outdoor cafe' in Paris. Chevy tries
to order in French and the waiter starts replying in French, although
what he is saying has nothing to do with food. The subtitles are at the
bottom of the screen when the waiter speaks so you can see what he
is *really* saying.

Example: Chevy "I'd like 3 Cokes" reading from his electronic pocket translator.
Waiter (in French): Three American Champagnes. You wouldn't know if it was dishwater
anyhow.
Then the waiter starts talking up Chevy in French saying stuff like "your wife has
a nice big ass and your daughter has a nice little ass"
Of course Chevy doesn't have a clue and ends the scene by saying something like
"see honey, you speak the language and people respect you".
Very funny.