Re: [News] [Rival] Problem with Windows Vista Listed, Man Threatens to Sue over Windows XP Problems

____/ Kier on Friday 17 August 2007 09:59 : \____

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:14:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 16 August 2007 20:24 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
>>> <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:24:23 -0500

>>> Ah, they might blame that one on the courts.  After all,
>>> had they been able to trademark "Windows", "Office",
>>> etc. they could have shortened them, right? ;-)
>>>
>>> Then again, ISTR a similar issue when the isys "Hall of
>>> Shame" site was still up.
>>
>> Apparently, the "office" in "office suite" now belongs to Microsoft. Sun had
>> to rename OpenOffice OpenOffice.org. Microsoft also tried to own the
>
> That had nothing to do with MS. There was already an office suite called
> 'Open Office', so naturally Oo.org had to be called something else. That's
> how it works.
>
>> word "windows", never mind "X windows". How about Linspire? They paid them
>> $20 million to stop the use of the word "Lindows". They later paid them
>> another $20 million to call it a day and just run out of (Linux) business.
>>
>> Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony resigns
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Carmony also said his resignation, contrary to some rumors, had nothing to
>> | do with any disagreement with Linspire's primary owner Michael Robertson,
>> | or with fallout from either of Linspire's recent deals with Microsoft,
>> | which covered technology licensing and patent indemnification.
>> |
>> | Carmony joined Linspire, then known as "Lindows," in June of 2001 to
>> | become its president. Later, he became the company's CEO.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8364062244.html
>>
>> Later on, SJVN spoke about what appears like "an executive exodus" at
>> Linspire. They got their money and now they go elsewhere. Microsoft paid to
>> decommission a rival. This must be investigated (but it won't because
>> Microsoft is above the law).
>
> Linspire wasn't much of a rival to MS. I doubt any of this is true.

CNR had potential. It was open-sourced not so long ago. So while Lispire was
not a great risk, it was a code factory that /began/ to help others _a little
bit_. ;-)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
 13:20:01 up 10 days, 16:13,  5 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.59, 1.91