Re: [News] XenSource-Citrix Deal Anticompetitive and Predatory

____/ BearItAll on Friday 17 August 2007 09:53 : \____

> [...]
>> | yourself be tied to a platform. Use an abstraction layer such as libvirt
>> | to bridge over the differences. For architects this means: don't looking
>> | to Xen for answers, base your new designs on KVM.
>> `----
>>
>> http://udrepper.livejournal.com/17577.html
>
> The VM host on which the OS's sit is bound to grow from being BIOS like to
> being a full soft interface to all hardware on the physical machine, for
> the sake of speed as and when the layer can be stabilised, then to build
> more general functionality into the virtual layer that each hosted OS can
> make use of.
>
> Of cause now we are heading for a new OS in it's own right and the steps to
> completing that OS will eventually be small enough that the VM vendors are
> very likely to take it.
>
> Is that a bad thing? Well that depends on what has happend to the other
> hosted OS's.
>
> What ever services the VM host offers, it has to also be able to allow OS's
> to not take up the offer of a service and instead choose it's own. But that
> is the main problem of VM hosting, the part that has held it up and made it
> more difficult, there are two many possible variables, the VM host has to
> know the OS and set itself accordingly. Much better the other way around,
> that the OS knows the VM host and makes itself compatible.
>
> There has to be rules, just as in your own Linux there are sharing rules,
> because all resources are shared, so all software must behave in a
> gracefull way with those shared resources, the kernel has the power to kick
> arse if your software tries to violate the rules.
>
> Simmilarly in VM hosting, there has to be rules and the hosted systems must
> be aware of the rules. The VM host must now do the job of kicking arse if
> an OS doesn't play by the rules, because it has to protect all of the other
> hosted OS's on the same system.
>
> Even with what I've said here it is obvious that the VM host has to start as
> a controlling layer, but equally obvious it can offer more and more to the
> hosted OS's as time goes on, not only hardware interfacing, but offering
> general libs, some common object repositories and so on. For a time such
> services would have an opt in/out that OS writers can make us of as their
> choose.
>
> But we are now losing the VM hosting, with the hosted OS heading towards
> being a shell and the VM host heading towards being a complete OS on which
> you place your shell. Except that there is a point of balance between
> offered services and private services where you can get the best virtual
> machine for a purpose.
>
> This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I think that we ought to keep a flexible
> mind, Linux is obviously the best of the VM hosts because of it's stability
> and security, But as offered services grow, there may not be a need for
> each hosted system to be a complete OS any more and we shouldn't be afraid

You mentioned kicking the arse of a VM. Have a look:

Microsoft flip-flops on Vista virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Software like Parallels Desktop for the Mac or Microsoft's own Virtual
| PC for Windows allow multiple operating systems to run simultaneously.
| When it announced licensing rules for Vista last year, Microsoft said
| that only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate could run as guest
| operating systems. The company said virtualization presents inherent
| security risks and that it hoped by limiting which versions of the OS
| could act as virtual machines, only sophisticated users and businesses
| would employ the tactic.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6191787.html

Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will not allow Windows Vista or Windows XP to be virtualized on top
| of Linux, Sam Ramji, the director of Microsoft's open-source software lab,
| said at the annual LinuxWorld Conference and Expo here Aug. 7.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
Cpu(s): 28.4%us,  4.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 60.5%id,  4.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st