[News] KDE 4 Beta and Red Hat's Developer Studio Taken for a Test Drive

  • Subject: [News] KDE 4 Beta and Red Hat's Developer Studio Taken for a Test Drive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:33:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
KDE 4: cursor themes, LinuxMCE, some impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Current KDE 4 SVN has an improvement that makes it possible to change the
| cursor theme without re-starting X. Also, the LinuxMCE team now officially
| cooperates with KDE to merge technology where it makes sense. I also took
| some general KDE 4 screenshots to gather some impressions.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/08/16/kde-4-cursor-themes-linuxmce-some-impressions/#comment-29962

Red Hat Developer Studio first contact

,----[ Quote ]
| Project has a nice 'All JBoss Libraries' library which contains 50+ jars
| which will hopefully let me develop without worrying on jars (for a while at
| least). Something similar happens with 'Web App Libraries', which includes
| not only seam but also other must-have like facelets.
`----

http://ideasse.blogspot.com/2007/08/red-hat-developer-studio.html

Related:

Why KDE 4 Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| This is also why Gnome is just now starting to talk about their long term
| future, since they've been stuck in the incremental stuff for a while and I'm
| getting the feeling that some of them feel trapped in the cycle.
`----

http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/5647.html

KDE4 is Very Attractive

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE4 will be a big step towards an enterprise software business based on free
| software. The software on the big servers is there already, the desktop is
| next. - kdedevelopers blogs
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/08/01/kde4-is-very-attractive/

LinuxMCE Partners with KDE for New Release

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to address the '10 foot' interface challenge, LinuxMCE and KDE
| Plasma developers are working to bring the two projects together. The first
| step was making a prototype showing how LinuxMCE and KDE can work together,
| which is showcased in the 0704 release where LinuxMCE is integrated with
| Kubuntu and KDE 3.5.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1187201437/

Linux media center distro adds flashy features

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxMCE appears to comprise a set of add-ons -- such as the MythTV DVR
| (digital video recorder), for example -- that sit on top of Kubuntu, the
| version of Ubuntu that uses KDE (K desktop environment). It adds numerous
| fancy features, including the optional alpha-blended UI (user interface)
| shown in the screenshots below.

LinuxMCE 0704 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| "LinuxMCE 0704 is a major improvement over the original 1.0 release.
| According to a poll, 86% now report LinuxMCE installs and starts up without
| problems, versus 27% with the original release.
`----

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Software/LinuxMCE-0704-Released.html

LinuxMCE 1.1 Released -- Now Runs KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| There's also word that LinuxMCE, since it works so well with the
| KDE desktop environment, that the guys at the KDE project are
| seriously considering integrating LinuxMCE into their upcoming
| 4.0 release. Now this is HUGE! If combined in the KDE 4.0 release,
| LinuxMCE + Kubuntu would be a free, open-source competitor/aternative
| to Windows Vista Ultimate.
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3891/linuxmce_1_1

CodeGear, Red Hat add dev tools for Eclipse, Java

,----[ Quote ]
| CodeGear is unveiling JGear, featuring a set of Eclipse plug-ins and server
| software to address Java development challenges. Red Hat, meanwhile, will
| offer a beta release of Red Hat Developer Studio, an IDE leveraging Eclipse
| as well as Red Hat and JBoss software.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070813/tc_infoworld/90938

Red Hat small business desktops available in Australia early 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/13943/53/