[News] Study: Internet Can Replace Big Media, SCO's Lies Set Free

  • Subject: [News] Study: Internet Can Replace Big Media, SCO's Lies Set Free
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:26:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Big Media losing grip thanks to the Internet and America's political divide

,----[ Quote ]
| Most notably, the Internet news audience—that is, "people who rely on the
| internet as their main news source"—appears to be quite dissatisfied with
| mainstream media. Pew says that the Internet news audience tends to
| be "younger and better educated" than the general public and is perhaps more
| exposed to different types of news because of their reliance on the Internet.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070812-big-media-losing-grip-thanks-to-the-internet-and-americas-political-divide.html

Requiem for a legal disaster: a retrospective analysis of SCO v. Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| After IBM refused to hand over the money, SCO upped the ante by insisting
| that all companies that use Linux should also pay licensing fees. SCO then
| proceeded to expand its litigation campaign and threatened to file suits
| against 1,500 companies. Novell eventually stepped in and argued that SCO
| wasn't actually the owner of the UNIX copyrights and that the UNIX
| intellectual property, in fact, belonged to Novell. SCO retaliated by
| accusing Novell of "slander of title" over the disputed UNIX ownership
| rights.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/requiem-for-a-legal-disaster-a-retrospective-analysis-of-sco-v-novell.ars

Where are all the Forbses and Motley Fools when Linux beats slander? News with
agenda.

Enterprise Network Security: The Wall Street Journal Gets It Wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| Is the tabloid ethos of Murdoch and News Corp. already rubbing off?
`----

http://www.itsecurity.com/features/wsj-gets-it-wrong-081307/

Related:

More on Troy Wolverton, the Street, and Apple Scandal

,----[ Quote ]
| MediaNews did buy the Mercury News with a loan from Bill Gates' foundation,
| and is in the process of paying back that loan by publishing information
| without much journalistic or technical integrity.
|
| Specifically, I wrote “One might think that the San Jose Mercury News, being
| located in Apple's backyard, would tend to trumpet the company's success. One
| would be wrong... Apple's corporate proximity to San Jose is trumped by the
| Mercury News’ need to publish low cost, highly sensational news to make
| enough money to pay back Bill Gates for the favor of his humanitarian loan.”
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/082663E0-6FD8-4F1D-909F-1BC72833AD02.html

Bill Gates fund reports 12.8 pct PlanetOut stake

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates' investment fund Cascade Investment LLC reported in a regulatory
| filing on Friday that its holds a 12.8 percent stake in the common stock of
| online media company PlanetOut Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKN1331033020070713?rpc=44

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

Gates sold 100,000 Univision shares-SEC filing

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation said it sold its remaining stake in Univision,
| which is in the process of being acquired by private investors,
| for an average of $35.34 per share in open market transactions.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsmlreuters.com:20070105:MTFH49951_2007-01-05_22-11-13_N05298823&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yll88p

What happened to the guts?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of one thing I am fairly certain. Microsoft all but eliminated
| mainstream software competition. As a result, Microsoft became
| the primary source of advertising revenue for mainstream publications.
| You don't bite the hand that feeds you. So instead of publishing
| issues calling for a worldwide boycott of Vista because it focuses
| more on what you can't do than what you can do, you see special
| editions praising Vista as the greatest advancement in computing
| since Windows 95. Granted we all know that Windows 95 was a dog
| from day one, but by the 90s, the mainstream press had already
| become rampant with Microsoft sycophants and they pushed Windows
| 95 like it was the second coming.
|
| [...]
|
| In short, I'd love to see a mainstream publication become an
| advocate for the consumer once again.
|
| As noted above, there are exceptions, including Linux Journal,
| most other FOSS-centered publications and even The Register.
| But we're the little guys.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000173

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.

PC World Editor Resigns When Ordered Not to Criticize Advertisers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/03/1810239&from=rss